Sunday, March 25, 2012

A New Problem

While I was visiting with Dr. Stern, he mentioned something that had shown up on the chest x-ray they had performed while I was still in the hospital on March 11th: the x-ray showed an enlarged heart.

What is curious is that I had the same chest x-ray done prior to the biopsy I had done by Dr. Poddatoori in December. These chest x-rays are requested every time you enter the hospital these days, just to make sure you're healthy enough to survive surgery. In this case, on December 13, 2011, the chest x-ray was clear.

I was advised to get with my GP, Dr. Miller, to figure out what's going on about this, a condition generally known as "cardiomegaly." Causes usually involve high blood pressure, but can also involve stress to the body. Dr. Stern indicated in the hospital that it may be due to a temporary condition, the surgery itself.

The photo shows a normal heart, and an enlarged heart, side by side. Obviously not mine.

I'll be calling Dr. Miller tomorrow to see if we can follow up.

No comments: