Thursday, March 15, 2012

Counting the Minutes to the Vicodin


It's 4:30am on a Thursday morning. I'm due for Vicodin and a Motrin pill at 5am. If I can last until 6am, I'll be doing that much better by stretching my pain medication, making it last, and maybe eventually coming off the need for it.

But on the other hand, I don't want to be in pain. Research shows that (1) people heal more quickly if they're in less pain, and (2) I'm a bitch when I'm in pain.

So I think I will compromise and take a little less. But I will still take some at 5.

I was just reading about Kristen Johnston's new book about her addiction to Vicodin. She would take between 20 - 100 pills a day. Of Vicodin! Finally, she said, her stomach exploded. At the age of 36. Oh, we don't want to go there. And I certainly don't have residuals from 3rd Rock from the Sun to lean upon when something goes wrong.

It's good to have doctors' appointments (three different doctors) looming. To check on how you're doing. To check on other matters. (Other health matters have sprung up during the hospital stay; I'll get into that later.) And to keep you in check on the medication. This is serious stuff. Just ask

No comments: