Friday, November 7, 2008

Your First Year with Diabetes


A new book has been issued on what to do when you first find out you have diabetes, or pre-diabetes. It’s called Your First Year with Diabetes: What to Do Month by Month, and is for sale at the American Diabetes Association website, store.diabetes.org, or 800-232-6733. The author is Theresa Gamero, APRN, BC-ADM, MSN, CDE.

If diabetes has left you confused or angry, wondering what to do, wondering how to improve your situation, this book will be a good reference for you.

I haven’t read it yet, but I already ordered it. I could use all the help I can get. Plus, maybe I missed something along the way even though I’m not in my first year. I tell you, I sure could’ve used something like this when I was first told I was pre-diabetic some ten years ago. Gamero says, “Walking 30 minutes a day most days can prevent pre-diabetes from graduating into diabetes.” What important information I could have had!

The ADA says the book is straightforward and easy to read. “Over the course of one year, you’ll learn about medications, exercise, meal planning, and how to handle lifestyle and emotional issues – all at a pace that suits you.”

No comments: