Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Do cholesterol-lowering drugs increase memory loss?

The University of California, Berkeley Wellness Letter (November 2008) reported that, "despite anecdotal reports that cholesterol-lowering statin drugs may increase memory loss in some people, studies over the years have not found this link.

"In fact, some research suggests that statins may actually reduce the risk of cognitive decline and dementia. Recently, for instance, a study in the journal Neurology of nearly 1,700 older Latino Americans found that statin users were about half as likely to develop these problems as nonusers over a period of five to seven years."

I had heard that some people have reported loss of memory due to the drugs they were taking. I kind of wonder how they knew which drugs might be affecting them, however, since those who are taking one drugs are likely to be taking more than one.

It's good to hear, though, that evidence is suggesting that there is no deleterious memory effect from statin drugs. One less side effect to worry about.

1 comment:

Dawn Kepler said...

I know I’m sort of obsessed with fiber, but the doctor made me that way. A few months ago my husband brought home a new bread - Oroweat Double Fiber. It is whole grain and has 12 grams of fiber in two slices. Two slices have 140 calories.

Today I found Oroweat Double Fiber English muffins - whole wheat and delicious! They have 8 grams of fiber in a muffin, 110 calories.

The bread says a serving (2 slices) is 48% of your daily fiber requirements and the muffin says that a muffin is 32% of your daily fiber requirements. So Oroweat is saying that 25 grams is your daily fiber requirement. My doctor told me after my colonoscopy that I should be aiming for 30 to 35 grams of fiber. But I’m more vulnerable because my mother had colon cancer. So people like me should shoot for more than the 25 grams a day.

I confess that although I’ve been eating more fiber I haven’t done a daily count of my fiber intake. I think I’ll do that for a couple days.