Friday, November 21, 2008

Walking for My Life

I heard it somewhere. If I walked 30 minutes five times a week, my risk of getting cancer again would be lowered. I couldn't recall where I heard it. I finally did some research online, and found several references.

CVS Pharmacy is my new pharmacy provider, so I thought I'd look on their site. (You can look at their cancer guideline site here.) There it was: "Engage in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 30 minutes, five or more days a week (45 to 60 minutes are preferable). Studies show 45 minutes or more of moderate to vigorous activity on five or more days a week may lower your risk of developing colon and breast cancers."

That's been great motivation for the last month. I don't quite know why. I mean, do negative ideas, fears, ever work? Well, in this case, it's working.

And it's more than the idea that my risk is lowered for developing more cancer of the colon. (Although that's plenty; I sure don't need more of that.) But walking helps me in so many ways. It keeps me active. It keeps the pains down to a minimum. It keeps my flexibility up. It helps my aching back, actually warms up the muscles as I get going. And it's a nice social activity if I take along a friend.

I met my friend George at the Lafayette Reservoir today and we walked all around that body of water. My pedometer bit the dust, but I would guess that stretch is about 3 miles, perfect for us. I highly recommend walking to those who can.

No comments: