Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Wal-Mart's $4 Prescription Program



It took an hour, but I finally got a short-gap prescription for the Verapamil pills I need to maintain my blood pressure. After a confusing dance this morning at the clinic, I got the right prescription, and, as she handed it to me, the nurse added: "Go to Wal-Mart or Target to have your prescription filled. They only charge $4."

I was in danger of having prescriptions overlap. My new mailorder pharmacy, Caremark, was about to fill a new prescription for Verapamil. (The 4 refills I had left did not transfer, which heightens my frustration level with this process.) So I didn’t dare fill a new prescription for the same drug, as the insurance company would surely cancel one or the other. So, when I went into Wal-Mart, I told them I had no insurance, fully expecting, like the nurse said, to have to pay $4.

Well, to my shock, the bill came to $41.73. Only drugs on their list qualify for the $4 prescription charge. Verapamil is not on that list.

It’s a good deal if you have no money and/or are underinsured. Always ask how much it cost. (I didn’t bother asking; I had to have the drug order filled regardless.)

There's a list online at Wal-Mart's website of the $4 drugs. They will also hand you a paper list at the pharmacy if you want one. It truly is a great deal if you have no insurance.

No comments: