Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Spittin' Mad at Big Pharma

I don't usually get angry. Oh, yes, of course I have on occasion. I don't usually yell in those circumstances; I just walk away.

Well, you can't walk away from your mail-order pharmacy. Although, believe me, I've love to.

I've been with Express Scripts for the past 3 years, and watched them put me in a double-bind several times where I can't get the prescription I need. Usually what happens is I'll see the prescription I need right on the website, and the website tells me I have something like 2 or 4 refills left. I click on it.

Two weeks later, instead of getting the pills, much-needed at that point, I get a letter saying they can't fill the prescription because (1) it's for less than 30 days, and/or (2) it's too old. And there's no one to talk to.

So, on October 26th when I learned that my health insurance was kicking out Express Scripts and signing onto CVS' Caremark, I was thrilled. Well, thrilled until now, right now, today, when I feel like throwing a big truck at them. (What a futile daydream! God knows where these people are, supposing there are people rather than robots.)

I still don't have my I.D. card from them so I can't order anything. I called them up (twice) today, asking that my blood pressure medication be filled. They can't do that, they said: no refills left. I know I had 4 refills on the verapamil before the transfer started....and apparently those numbers are in a deep, dark hole somewhere.

So now I'm stuck. I have five of those beautiful blue pills left, enough for two-and-a-half days. I called the trauma nurse at my clinic today. She's going to get a doctor to sign a prescription for 30 days to get me through the emergency.

And I have to tell you: I don't have any faith that Caremark will come through on filling that one prescription at all.

As if you didn't know, maintaining your health is a part-time job, and sometimes even a full-time job.

No comments: