Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Follow-Up to Cancer Surgery: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I've been hoping and dreading this moment -- all at the same time -- where I walked into my oncologist's office, and he tells me the results of the post-surgery tests, tests which determine whether I still have cancer. Those tests are negative, thank goodness.
The CA-125 blood test, which is a unique test for cancer, was 18 prior to the surgery. It's now 7, a considerable drop, and in a very good place. The CT scan was negative. Dr. Stern told me that I shouldn't need either test again (at least at this point).
However, there are follow-up tests. Stephanie told me that because I had endometrial cancer, there is a risk that the cancer could occur. Therefore, I should have Pap smears every 3-6 months after surgery for the first two years, and then every six months for 3-5 years.
I was in shock. I had been told by Dr. Poddatoori, my gynecologist, that I would never have to have a Pap test ever again. The uterus is gone, the ovaries are gone, but there's still risk. Dr. Stern told me there's a 5% chance the cancer could recur. Then he paused and added, "Or greater."
I don't do Pap tests. In fact, when Dr. Poddatoori found out that I had had my last Pap test before she was born, her reaction made me trust her and like her so much more. She understands that I can't do a pelvic exam easily. Last time I had to be so sedated that the procedure was done in a hospital, and she performed it. (This was just prior to the surgery to remove the uterus, etc.) It's too painful.
I told Stephanie that I doubt if I would ever do that, and apparently she reported that to Dr. Stern, because when we got in to see him, he recommended that I go to see Dr. Poddatoori for follow-up instead of him. He suggested I see her after three months.
I'm still a bit freaked out. I don't feel like celebrating, like I thought I would. Still, I have a plan. And I think ice cream is definitely in my future. Because, damn it, life is too short.

No comments: