Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Weight and See

I did not go into this great surgery with the idea of losing weight. But, hey, if they take out a uterus with really abnormally thick walls, plus ovaries, wouldn't that give minus a few pounds? Of course, they had to put something back -- I don't know what that is, and really don't want to know.

As near as I can figure, the difference in weight was about 6 pounds, as I weighed myself on my first day back. I'm not sure if that's uterus or if that's mostly I was on a reduced diet while I was in there due to the fact that I was nauseous my first few days.

I do remember eating that big, orange popsicle they gave me on my second day. I promptly threw it up. But it sure tasted good for a few minutes. They then, I think, figured out I was diabetic, and I never saw a popsicle again. But everything, once I was able to eat again on the third day, tasted great. A little tin of fruit. Some chicken soup. I really didn't have an appetite and wasn't at all hungry while I was recovering from the nausea in the first few days of hospitalization, but then my appetite came roaring back. I almost wished I could have stayed to see what the evening meal was like on Tuesday. But I was discharged around 2pm.

I weighed myself this morning, and I've lost 11.2 pounds since I went into Alta Bates. I'd like to continue eating small, frequent meals, fewer carbs, more healthy choices. I don't know if I can keep it up, but I have so many reasons to try.

So, for the young adults out there contemplating surgery for one reason or another: don't go into the procedure thinking you're going to lose weight as a goal. But if you do happen to lose some pounds, maybe it's a new beginning for you to start on healthy habits.

No comments: