Sunday, April 22, 2012

Reviewing the D Buddy App

I've been using the D Buddy app for two days now. I like it, although I find some of it difficult.
It's very convenient. I was able to enter what I was eating right at the ballpark last night. I couldn't exactly find "lemonade" like they were selling at the ballpark, so I estimated, extrapolating from a store-bought version of lemonade.
This morning I ate some Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheats, Bite-Size. I was able to find Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheats in their database, but not the bite-size kind. Still, I was able to guess.
What I don't like about adding the food is that I can't, say, eat half a banana. So I have to enter an extremely small banana. And I can't add a quarter cup of milk. I can only add a cup (which is a lot of milk). But, when I've entered everything, it tells me how many grams of carbs I've consumed (103.4g this morning), how many are remaining since I'm diabetic, which is what the "D" stands for (171.6g), 540.1 calories, 12.3g fiber, 31.3g sugar, and 16.7g protein.
I'm not sure what all the numbers mean. How many grams of sugar should I limit myself to? Calories I understand more about -- and I'm trying to limit myself to 2,000 a day.
This app is already helping. Nutritionists have always told me to write my food down. You're more aware of what you're eating, what you should be avoiding. If you don't want to write it down, don't eat it! So now that I have to do that electronically -- it's much more fun this way -- I really am paying attention.
And I also have a calendar method of marking my weight and glucose level, as long as I remember to enter the data.

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Wow, hats off to you again Linda....having a difficult time remembering so many things except checking work schedual, putting in O.T. and then checking that to see if I got the ticket of O.T. Keep up the GREAT work. Your body will thank you in so many ways!!!