Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Miserable Day off Vicodin

I can't lie: the day I came off the Vicodin was a miserable day. I'm not even sure why.

Yes, I felt more pain but it wasn't unbearable. I think it might've been a matter of blood sugar. When I ate lunch -- an Asian salad -- at noon, things straightened out a little bit. But I still had a stomach ache and a bit of nausea. I felt so bad the rest of the early afternoon that I just sat in my chair even though our son was over visiting. I didn't feel like talking.

We ate dinner quite early, at about 4:30pm. I was actually able to drive for the first time, which was part thrill and part almost terrifying (the car was going too fast and I wasn't used to it). At the diner, I ordered a small dinner salad and a bowl of fruit. And I felt immensely better after that. Ruth suggested that my body needs frequent nourishment because it's still dealing with healing.

This morning when I woke up, I immediately noticed the lessening of the pain around my mid section. I have felt some of that same nausea this morning, but it appears to be lessening, especially after breakfast.

(A small interlude for the Jews among my readers. Friday night is the beginning of Passover. I was eating some of the last of my cereal for breakfast this morning at 9am, being careful to put the mini-wheats gently in the bowl and not spill any. After all, the cleaning crew had come yesterday, and I didn't want any of the forbidden chametz, or grains, over everything in the kitchen. Wouldn't you know, I sneezed -- and several pieces went everywhere. On my pants, on the chair, on the tiled floor. But, thankfully, I had a little toy poodle who likes to eat spilled chametz. So I think I'm safe.)

I was going to go to a movie this morning, but I'm a bit tired. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: