Monday, February 27, 2012

Good News about Cancer, If There Is Such a Thing

Dr. Poddatoori called me this morning. My gynecologist is back from vacation.

She doesn't seem to have access to all the medical records from the oncologist, but she did repeat that surgery is March 9th, and that she will be there for that.

She had some really good news for me. Mind you, this is before the results of the PET CT scan are in, and before the pathologist in Alta Bates takes a look at the uterus and lymph nodes he or she is handed. She said that an uncomplicated hysterectomy will mean that I will only be in the hospital for two or three days. Can you imagine that? So that's what we'll hope for.

If there's extraordinary bleeding, or, of course, more is found by the pathologist, the stay will be longer. She did state that it will take 6 to 8 weeks to recover.

She believes me to be in Stage 1B right now from uterine cancer, which means that recurrence is very low. Again, that's without knowing the whole story, which they will discover at the other end of the scalpel.

What wonderful, informative doctors I have. I couldn't wish for a better scenario.

No comments: