Wednesday, October 22, 2008

60 Is a Magic Number

Today is my birthday. It's not only my birthday, but a milestone: it's my 60th birthday.

I actually never thought I'd see this day. I had so many self-destructive days while growing up, as a young and even more mature adult. In fact, I was telling someone the other day that I wished I had the power to go back in time, confront myself and say: No more candy bars!

I have to laugh as I typed that. The truth is, I never really woke up to health issues until the cancer, which I contracted at age 54. Then, slowly, bit by bit, I started paying attention. I was kind of reborn.

In the last few years I've lost some weight (still working on that one), stabilized my diabetes, cholesterol, and blood pressure, and hit the exercise road (walking) anew, finding a friend to do it with. And, six years later, I'm still cancer free.

In the other phases of my life, I am really happy. But I still struggle with portion control, eating from the rest of the pyramid, getting my body into fighting shape.

It's all a process, isn't it? The process of life.

I'm going on a week's vacation starting tomorrow. Traveling is always a problem for me as far as exercise and diet. I'll let you know how things went when I return.

1 comment:

Rabbi Ruth Adar said...

Those of us who love you are so proud of you, and blessed to have you with us.