Thursday, September 4, 2008

What's Behind Curtain #3 in the Fiber Cereal Contest?

We were on our walk around Lake Merritt the other day when my friend asked me what kind of cereal I eat. Uh oh, I thought to myself. It’s the sugar/fiber check. Deadly.

My favorite had been frosted mini-wheats, but when I asked my doctor if it had enough fiber, she frowned. Then she gave me a list of high-fiber foods. Ask for the time, they tell you how the clock is built. Oh, well.

Ever since I had colon cancer surgery, I've been more concerned about what I eat.. It’s a major issue, yeah, I recognize that, but it’s been a struggle. But if I can get one little scrap of information into my pea-sized brain, something I can grab hold of and squeeze, so much the better. And I depend upon my health professionals to pound the message into me, and, yes, my friends.

So there we had a discussion about fiber in cereal. We both started with Bran Buds, with its 10 grams of fiber. Great choice! Lousy taste. I actually put the milk in and then read the paper, and then when I was finished maybe I could eat the bran buds. They were that hard.

I then discovered that Cheerios had a whole wheat version. I love the taste of Cheerios, especially with a little Splenda. But my friend pointed out that Cheerios has only 3 grams of fiber. Okay, I went up in taste but down in fiber.

I've read disagreeing opinions on how much fiber we need each day, but most say between 30 to 40 grams of fiber a day. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if I start off with 13 grams of cereal in the morning, I've got a good head start.

So I just bought Fiber One, which has 13 grams of fiber, better than either of the other cereals. Fiber One actually has a rather helpful website which helps you add up fiber, and it offers a free sample of Fiber One cereal. I haven’t tried eating the cereal yet. I’ll let you know how the taste measures up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Look for new nutrition workshops at WCRC in 2009 - one of them will be on fiber! In the meantime you can come to the monthly Cooking Club or read the articles by Nutrition Consultant Sandy Der on WCRC's website http://www.wcrc.org/articles.htm

Dawn Kepler said...

I started with All Bran and I do like the taste, but they only have 10 grams of fiber. Not bad but along came Bran BUDS! They have 13 grams. I'm shooting for 28 to 30 grams of fiber a day, so Bran Buds got me there faster. THEN Fiber One comes along. I think they are actually 14 grams per serving. So I switched. YES, I am a slave to each gram.