Friday, September 26, 2008

Get Your Flu Shot

I went to my doctor the other day for a follow-up appointment. While there, the clinic people asked me if I wanted a flu shot. Yes!

I have “flu shot” written on my calendar for October 1st every year. So, every year I call and see if it’s available. My doctor always suggests the shot for me due to my risk factors: age, diabetes, health history.

It’s great news this year that there’s plenty of flu vaccine supply, a record-setting amount of about 145 million doses. But the bad news is that flu still persists. And last year, the vaccine was poorly matched to the strains of flu in circulation, apparently only 58 percent effective in preventing infection by influenza B, and 44 percent effective overall. That number is about half of what it is when matched well.

High-risk individuals for flu include: pregnant women, people age 50 and older, younger adults with chronic illnesses such as diabetes and asthma, health care workers, people in contact with children less than six-months old, and people in contact with people at high risk of flu’s complications, such as those with AIDS.

If you can, get your flu shot. It’s a moment of discomfort for a year’s worth of care.

No comments: