Saturday, September 6, 2008

SALUD!


SALUD! A Celebration of Latino Art, Health & Community!

The fair was held this morning (and is still going on as I type this) at the Women's Cancer Resource Center today, Saturday, between 10 am and 2 pm, September 6, 2008. I went as a volunteer.

Salud! is the 4th annual art fair with cancer and health information that features an exhibition of art by Latino artists, free snacks and a full lunch, Latin music, a nutrition workshop, and information from local health and Latino organizations. Also offered were free acupuncture and massage treatments.

This was my first time as a volunteer for WCRC. As I got out of my car, I noticed a woman walking back and forth from her car. Finally, I asked if I could help, and we both carried her last load over to one of the booths. She thanked me, and I headed over to the registration booth, the first stop for anyone coming to the fair.

My job was simple: have people sign in, give them a lunch and raffle ticket, and give them an evaluation sheet. And answer their questions. Also, if they're a cancer survivor, give them a voucher for a pair of free A's tickets. Jennifer, a very enthusiastic volunteer who has helped WCRC for a couple of years now, helped me out, as did Teresa and Linda. Thanks to Teresa, we actually had someone who spoke Spanish.

One woman took a seat in one of the volunteer chairs at the desk, and told me a little of her story. Her name was Yolanda, she told me, and she works in several jobs around Oakland, including as a volunteer for the Prison's Ministers of God Gospel and as a radio reporter. She told me she's had three types of cancer. "And I am still here!" she told me proudly.

During a break in the action at the front desk, I visited some of the booths and went and got my A's tickets to Breast Cancer Awareness Day, which is next Saturday at McAfee Coliseum. I also signed the Breast Cancer Awareness sign-in list, with a promise of more information through email.



You couldn't help but step to the beat of the powerful Latin music coming through the speakers. From time to time, singers and those with instruments would perform, and each drew a good crowd.

I talked with some Guardian Angels, a whole pack of them -- mostly women -- as they came in. "We're here to provide security," said one. I wouldn't mess with them. No-nonsense attitude, military camouflage uniforms, and that red beret....whoa. I told them they were welcome.

The lunch, which starte at noon, was very popular, and very good. I couldn't believe how good the chicken was! And you also got tortilla chips, rice and frijoles with it. People kept reaching into their wallets at our front desk to pay for the lunch only to find out it was free. Their jaws dropped. I was very pleased to see that most continued that motion into their wallets and dropped some bills into our "Donations" bucket. Their efforts were much appreciated.

Inside was the art exhibit. Several people came by, saying they were friends of the artist, or that they came to see a particular artist. We pointed the way.

One bicyclist came by, his face red with effort and sweat pouring down his face on this 90-degree temperature day. He just wanted water. I pointed the way.

Artists on exhibition included:
Michael Arbulu
Laila Espinoza
Cristian Guerrero
Gabriel Navar
Fernando Reyes
Melanie Cervantes
Querido Galdo
Kristina Lovato-Hermann
Gabriela Nunez
Luz Marina Ruiz

(Art pictured is "Me Rendi a la Gran Divina," by artist Gabriel Navar.)

Everyone seemed to have a good time. Everyone was in such a good, festive mood, and the music and the smiles only contributed. What a wonderful community success!

No comments: