Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Heavy Shadow

Medical stuff takes a long time. Have you noticed that? Due to my commitments and Dr. Stern's journey to Japan, I can't get with him face-to-face until two weeks from now. However, my regular GP, Dr. Laura Miller of Lifelong in Oakland, called me a couple of times and left messages.

This last time was Friday night, and she said she was seeing a lot of paperwork with my name on it come through with test results. On Monday morning, I promptly called her to see if she had the results of the MRI. I had been waiting weeks and had heard nothing. She did. She hesitated in revealing what was on the report, but she kept repeating that it was a topic of "great concern." Over and over. Rather than leave me there, however, she called Dr. Stern's office and practically insisted that someone in his office, one of his staff, call me and tell me the results instead of just leaving me hanging there. And so they did.

Stephanie called to tell me that the radiologist reported that there was a "mass inside the uterus...suspicious for endometrial cancer," or so it was interpreted by Stephanie when she told me over the phone today. It's too large for a fibroid, she followed.

So, what does that mean. It means.... it's time for another test! This time it's a PET scan, similar to the last MRI I just had, only with radiological material (glucose) instead of contrast material inserted into my veins.

What did we ever do without the internet? According to RadiologyInfo.org, PET stands for Positron Emission Tomography, which is "a type of nuclear medicine imaging."

Small amounts of radioactive material are injected or taken orally or inhaled as a gas, accumulate in the organ or area of the body being examined, and help in diagnosing diseases because they're able to pinpoint molecular activity within the body. Radioactive emissions from the radio tracer are detected by a special camera that produces pictures and detailed molecular information.

The PET scan seems to be quite different in how it works as opposed to the MRI. The CT produces "excellent anatomic information," while the PET scan measures "important body functions, such as blood flow, oxygen use, and sugar (glucose) metabolism, to help doctors evaluate how well organs and tissues are functioning."

Stephanie went on to tell me the PET scan will aid in identifying cancer in the uterus, specifically that mass, and whether it's spread and where.

We are now awaiting clearance from my insurance company, which takes about a week. Megan will then call me with phone numbers, etc., by which to make the appointment. I'm going to make sure this one happens soon. After all, it would be optimal if we could get all the tests done and results in by the time my appointment comes up with Dr. Stern in mid-February.

No comments: