Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Inside the Uterus.... Well, Not Yet...

I went to see a female gynecologist in Berkeley. My own doctor, Dr. Miller, had told me that she had met Dr. Poddatoori, and found her to be kind and sensitive. She's also young, but I actually find that encouraging. It means she knows the latest breakthroughs in her specialty.

Due to the advocacy of my partner, Dr. Poddatoori decided not to do a pelvic exam. Instead, and she said this is the latest standard of care going on in gynecology regarding biopsies of the uterine wall, she's going to hospitalize me, insert a camera so that she can see what area of the uterine wall she's sampling for the biopsy, and then take the sample. While there, she will also do a PAP smear. All the while I will be completely out.

No one wants to wait a month or two to schedule this. She said they'd call me in a couple of days. However, Thanksgiving week interferes with office schedules, and I might not get a call until early December.

The earlier the better. I'm ready to get on with this. I found a doctor I can work with, one who explains things -- she took quite a bit of time with me -- and someone who doesn't want to hurt her patients unnecessarily.

It looks like progesterone pills are in my future, but first we determine if I have cancer.

No comments: