Thursday, February 18, 2010

MARSA Hits Close to Home

I'm currently in San Diego, where I am visiting my brother daily. My brother is in Sharp Hospital, where he's being treated for various things. At the top of the list: meningitis and MARSA.

I hadn't heard about MARSA before I got here. Apparently it's an invasive bacteria that worked its way into the spine and eventually caused meningitis. He's in the contagious ward of the ICU, the MICU. And, in order to go into the room, I have to suit up so that I'm protected.

So far there's been no need to go into the room, as I can see him from the doorway, and he's been asleep the entire time. He does wake up from time to time, answers questions briefly, but, according to the nurse, can't process much or have a heavy conversation. He most likely will not remember any visitors.

However, I have hope that he'll be more cognizant of what's going on today when I go in. If he is, I'll suit up and go on in. I'm leaving town today, at least for awhile. He's in good hands.

No comments: