Friday, December 16, 2011

The Biopsy Is Over

My in-hospital but out-patient biopsy was done yesterday. It took all day.

But gosh, it was pain-free for the most part, except for the tech who tried to stick the needle in my hand over and over. I took two little pills -- actually, they rested between my cheek and teeth and just dissolved. They opened up my cervix to make it easier to insert the camera through the cervix to the uterus. So I felt some cramping from that, a little disturbing until I remembered where it was coming from. My doctor, Dr. Vineela Paddatoori, had prepared me well.

The object of this surgical procedure was to do a biopsy of several parts of the uterine wall while using an inserted camera to see where the best samples might be. And to do a PAP smear. I haven't had a biopsy since 1978. And have never had a PAP smear.



I was too far out of it to remember Dr. P's visit with me, but she explained to my partner, Ruth, that the lighter parts of the picture are the parts about which we should be concerned. The parts which may indicate uterine cancer.

She took 11 camera shots of the lining of the wall. It looks quite disturbing. We won't know the official results for another week or so. And, really, we won't know the results until Dr. P. interprets it all for us.

Right now, I feel great. Post-op has been really easy. For now, we wait. However, I'm 90% convinced that a hysterectomy is in my near future, as the signs don't look healthy.

No comments: