Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Rejuvenating Benefit of Cherries

I was reading rather perfunctorily the latest health newsletter I had just received, and it spent quite a bit of time on cherries. The catch line was, sick of blueberries? Try cherries.

The newsletter is Bottom Line Health, April 2011.

Research shows that tart cherry juice "eases post exercise muscle soreness," and points out that the New York Rangers hockey team drinks cherry juice regularly.

In a study reported by the Journal of Nutrition, "18 healthy men and women who supplemented their daily diets with just over two cups of Bing cherries daily for 28 days reduced their level of C-reactive protein, an inflammatory marker in the blood that can signal plaque formation, by 25%."

I have been trying to work blueberries into a normal breakfast routine with my cereal. However, blueberries aren't all that tasteful to my mind. Cherries, on the other hand, seem like a wicked pleasure. I'll have to work cherries into my daily diet.

No comments: